Mompetition’s Interview with Sarah Hoffman

I’ve really been needing some humor lately. I think that maybe we all have. And so I called up one of the funniest women on the web, Valerie Stone Hawthorne of Mompetition. And because she is awesome, she agreed to put me in one of her xtranormal videos—an experience which stark. raving. mad. mommy has called “the mommy blogger equivalent of being on The Simpsons.” And she is right. I am beyond excited to present to you Mompetition’s Interview with Sarah Hoffman:

Let me know what you think.

And don’t forget to “like” Mompetition on facebook!

Comments

1. says

I thought it was great. I’ve also read some of your blog. Thanks for sharing. I don’t have a son, but I’m very proud of the fact that there are indeed parents that truly love their children for who they are…it has always saddened me that girls like myself (tomboys) were seen as tough and awesome, yet boys were held to a different standard and made fun of if they liked dolls/pink whatever….I truly thank you for being your son’s best ally. We need more parents in the world like you!

• shoffman says

Thanks for saying that! I haven’t had a tomboy make that observation on the blog before. So true! I appreciate that you see the need for the social acceptance to go both ways.

And you ARE tough and awesome.

• says

Thanks….what’s funny is that I think I have the girliest of girls and I have no idea what to do with the dolls she loves so much….I know plenty about matchbox cars, trains, lincoln logs, legos, and sports :) ha ha ha….I love it! Let’s celebrate everyone’s individualism. Hate the labels though…still wince when I think of high school and even post high school because of my hair choices at times lol

2. says

Saw you on Mompetition. Hilarious! But seriously, I don’t understand why people get so caught up in what boys want to wear/play with/etc. My mom had a fit when my son wanted a Cabbage Patch doll when we took him and my daughter to the Cabbage Patch Hospital for her birthday, but I just told her to get over it – she got a doll, he got a doll, they are happy and quite frankly that’s all I care about!

• shoffman says

You’ve got great priorities :-) And by letting your son have the doll he wanted, you are both supporting him and sending a message to the adults around you that it really is no big deal.

3. says

This is great! The cartoon thing let’s you have fun with the content, create these dialogs, that somehow go beyond what is possible in a blog post; we know it’s a cartoon, it is supposed to be exaggerated. I have to suppress the desire to beat straw men all day long with this tool. If only our real world opponents weren’t so close to the caricature.

4. says

This is the reply i put on her blog, i found you through her. I am glad you added me to your facebook page :)

i love it, my son keeps his favorite color pink and purple a secret because my husbands family teases him…he painted my nails the other day and his uncle was calling him a girl…i wanted to punch him. i think i have written a blog or two about how i feel about all that…
    good work :)

• shoffman says

Thanks for sharing the comment here too! So sorry to hear your inlaws tease your son. That inspires angry wrath in any mama.

• says

SRMM sent her an email for me — turns out her email address is a bit challenging to find… but I have run through a ‘script’ about SPD in my head a dozen times after I first saw Xtranormal. I think it would be PRICELESS.

• shoffman says

You mean you’d play it before your lectures? I think humor is such a great way to reach people. Hey, I’d really love to go to one of your talks some day. Do you ever come to the bay area?

5. says

Yes, before my lecture. I am hopeful (cross your fingers) that a new series of 1-day parent focused sensory conferences will start at the beginning of the year nation wide (schedule TBD). If so, I am sure that the Bay will be on our list. I grew up in Nor Cal and would love to go back. :) I will keep you in the loop (of course!).

6. says

I love seeing you and little guy Sam around town. I am here from Mompetition.

Your story taught me to consider my response before I am given the opportunity to meet a child who is unfairly measured by standards that should not exist.

I am grateful to be given the thoughtful introduction so I do not miss a beat when I meet a fellow like him. Instead I will take it all in stride and smother him with the love and acceptance he deserves.

• shoffman says

Welcome Roccie! Thanks so much for being willing to be more open to kids who are (I love how you said this) “unfairly measured by standards that should not exist.” Keep on reading & commenting!